Essential oils, containing potent properties, are a versatile part of a natural medicine cabinet. When used correctly, they may be a great, natural option in our healthcare to support our body’s systems.
Essential oils have a very small molecular size, which means that their healing properties are easily absorbed by the skin. Their potency ensures that only a few drops are needed at a time, so a small bottle can last a few years when used sparingly. When purchasing essential oils, keep in mind that they are not the same as fragrance oils, which are synthetic and may not be safe to use on the skin.
Many oils also need to be diluted with a “carrier oil” which serves as a base to add a few drops of essential oils to. Some good carrier oils are sweet almond, sesame and coconut oil.
Always use a carrier oil when using essential oils on babies and children since their skin is much more sensitive to the effects. Check with your doctor before using essential oils on yourself or your children.
Here are a dozen essential oil remedies you should try…
- Alleviate Occasional Upset Stomach – Smelling Ginger essential oil eases queasiness. Peppermint and Lavender may also help.
- Soothe Skin Irritations – One of Lavender’s many uses is that it is good for your skin. It can also help to to reduce the appearance of skin imperfections.
- Protect Against Seasonal Threats – The scent of Eucalyptus reduces stuffy noses and head pressure and it is known for it’s powerful ability to protect against Winter season “bugs” and open airways. Add a few drops to steaming water, drape a towel over your head and breathe it in to clear nasal passage. You can also add a few drops to a diffuser.
- Improve Concentration – Inhale Bergamot, Grapefruit or Peppermint to help increase concentration throughout the day.
- Quell Anxious Feelings – Inhale Wild Orange essential oil to handle pressure with less anxious feelings. Bergamot may also help you keep your cool.
- Focus Better at Work – The scent of Rosemary essential oil may improve concentration, speed and accuracy during mental tasks. It may also boost memory.
- Sore Feet Soak – Mix 8 drops of Peppermint essential oil with a Tablespoon of Epsom Salt and add to a warm-water foot bath..
- Soothe Occasional Bites – Use Lavender essential oil for itchy bug bites and stings.
- Achy Joint Relief – Mix 2 drops of Wintergreen, Cypress and Lemongrass essential oils into an unscented lotion. Massage into affected areas.
- Energize Your Workout – Inhale Peppermint essential oil before a workout to reduce fatigue.
- Head Tension Relief – Combine a few drops of Lavender and Peppermint essential oils and apply to temples to help with mild and severe head tension.
- Reduce Teeth Grinding – Massage 1-3 drops of Lavender essential oil on the bottom of the feet and along the jawbone before going to sleep.
Contact me if you have questions or would like to purchase these essential oils!